For a print version, click Disaster.
Disaster: a noun meaning
a sudden event, such as an accident or a natural catastrophe, that causes great damage or loss of life, an event or fact that has unfortunate consequences
synonyms: catastrophe, calamity, cataclysm, tragedy, act of God, holocaust, accident
Prepare a Disaster Supplies Kit
Put in a backpack or duffle bag. Leave near front/back door.
- Water (1gal/person/day) Identify storage date. Replace in 6 mos.
- Non-perishable packaged or canned food. Canned opener.
- Change of clothing, rain gear, and sturdy shoes.
- Blankets or sleeping bags.
- First aid kit and prescription medications
- Extra pair of glasses.
- Radio, flashlight and extra batteries
- Credit cards and cash
- Extra set of car keys
- List of doctors
- List of important family information; style & serial number of medical devices
- Special items for infants, elderly or disabled family members
Some of the above may be stored in the car.
- Fire extinguisher
- Booster cables
- Battery-operated flashlight & radio / first aid kit and manual
- Maps (remember you might not have cellphone use)
- Shovels & flares
- Tire repair kit and pump
- Exit plan
- Meeting place for family members near house and distant site
- List of contacts, relatives, doctors.